Friday, September 29, 2006

No knitter would *ever* throw their needles over a cliff

I don't care what trauma they endured--it just wouldn't happen. And I am impressed with the yardage that she gets out of that last ball of yarn.



I will say that the scarf approached the length of my first scarf, which I never did cast off. When my grandmother taught me to knit when I was about 10, she did just that--she taught me the knit stitch. She did not teach me how to cast on, purl, or cast off. (My grandmother is not exactly known for her patience, so I am a bit surprised that she taught me to knit at all.) She bought me some size 13 needles (Susan Bates, of course), some squeaky chambray-colored acrylic yarn, and cast on a scarf for me. She then showed me how to make a knit stitch. I was to continue the scarf until it was "finished" and then she would cast it off for me. The only problem is that she decided that this scarf should be *gargantuan*. I had about 1000 yards of worsted wool, and by God I was going to use all of it. Remember that this was a scarf for me, and I was 10. I knit about 5 feet of scarf and asked her to cast it off. Not long enough. 6 feet. Still not long enough. 7 feet. Nope. 8 feet. Still no. I still had some yarn left, you see . . . . I finally just put it away and stopped asking. I still have it, on the needles, with the extra yarn. I doubt it would be short enough for a professional basketball player.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The funny thing is that she thinks its weird that her daughter likes her scarf to be long enough to wrap around a couple of times. But then I guess this sort of illogical thinking is typical when you live in an alternate universe...

Grendel said...

Actually, I'm sort of wondering where the knitting woman gets the 2nd needle after she falls over the cliff. Didn't one break? And for my No. Prize, I'll explain that it was threaded through the dress the whole time.

Kate said...

You can see that it is broken--it's the same needle.

Grendel said...

Well I'll be damned; (almost definitely) that'll teach me to think I'm paying attention. :)

Anonymous said...

I find it hard to believe that her obsession is transferred to the scissors so easily. I know that it's possible to knit using your fingers if you have no needles, and that dress she was wearing looked as though she could take it apart to get yarn/thread.

Anonymous said...

yeah...

Anonymous said...

yeah...yeah......yeah, just for the record this is ur little sister.